Saturday, September 02, 2006

A Stash Is Born!

The DCA's black socks are finished. Pretend there's a picture of them on the page. He (or more likely our cleaning lady) has stashed them I know not where, so they were unavailable for their appointment with my camera. I grafted the last toe on Tuesday evening and then immediately cast on the toe-up socks in Trekking XXL. The Trekking socks provided much entertainment during a computer training period about the school's new web site on Wednesday. BUT, new sock yarn arrived on Wednesday, and they were quickly tossed aside.

The latest star of my stash is Black Bunny Fibers sock yarn in the Oregano colorway. I cast on for them Wednesday evening using Brenda's Pembrokeshire Pathways pattern. My in-laws are visiting this week before school starts next week, so we hit Sea World on Thursday and did the obligatory tourist thing at the Moose's request. I spent the day walking and knitting around the park. I got lots of interesting looks, but I wasn't bored while we waited for shows and rides. Sometimes, sock knitting is the best entertainment you get in an amusement park! These lovely socks are destined for my friend whose favorite flower is a green carnation. The colorway has every color possible from her favorite bloom, and I thought of her while knitting it on Thursday.

I almost threw the BBF socks aside on Thursday, because I hit the motherlode in the afternoon mail. My shipments from Blue Moon and Lisa Souza both arrived, and I'm enamored of my new fiber! I took the skeins in to my LYS today and wound them on their swift and ball-winder. The staff love the colorways, and I think I may have become a certified sock yarn enabler. Clockwise from the top they are: Lisa Souza Max in the Wild Things colorway (I have two other skeins too, and they will soon yield a Clapotis), Blue Moon Socks that Rock in Highway 30, Lisa Souza Sock! Merino in Joseph's Coat, more Sock! Merino in Mardi Gras, and Socks that Rock in County Clare. Feel free to admire my treasures. I know I sure do!

Today's mail yielded a little something from Wendy of Knitty D and the City. I correctly answered the Ben on a Bench question in her blog and am now the proud owner of some truly beautiful stitch markers. I love them! I might put making stitch markers on my list of things to do--ok, probably not. Thanks so much, Wendy!

And last, but not least, for your knitting enjoyment, I have FOs.
These bags I knitted up back in June are finally and completely finished. I spent the afternoon weaving in ends and sewing on i-cord straps while we watched the Sooners beat the UAB Blazers. They are from the free sample pattern at the Philosopher's Wool web site. The bags also visited the LYS today, and they--or something like them--may become the star of a Fair Isle class in the near future. The pattern is a great introduction to the Fair Isle technique. If I didn't already have so much I want to do, I would probably try adding a sweater to the queue.

It's time to go back to those Oregano socks--or maybe the travel shawl!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Glad you got the stitchmarkers! And, if you're going to build a stash, a great foundation is the Socks that Rock and of course, the Bunny!