Thursday, August 09, 2007

Hot, Hot, Hot!

We had a great time in Florida. Disney World was great as always, and it wasn't too crowded until we went to the Magic Kingdom on Friday. Lots of people must start their weekends early, and it must be the most popular of the parks, because it was the most crowded of all the parks we went to. Seeing my brother and his family made up for it though. Pictures of our escapades will have to wait until we're home--I don't want to try to download pictures anywhere but there. The DCA might try from his parents' home this weekend, but that's his bag not mine.

We've spent most of the last weekend in NC with my parents, and it is super hot here. We get temperatures in the 90s and 100s at home in CA, but the humidity is giving us heat indexes in the 110s, and that's a little more than we want to deal with. Yesterday, we just stayed in the house and relaxed after a bit of traveling around on Tuesday. Today we have some things we want to do, but the heat might just keep us home.

The knitting front is slow and unproductive. I ripped back the Nagini sock completely. I just don't like toe-up socks, and I felt like I was slogging along. I am going to attempt Nagini again, but I'm going to change it to a cuff-down sock and work it on US size 2 needles with fewer stitches or on US size 0 or US size 1 needles according to the pattern instructions. My US size 1 Addi circs are really more like a 1.5 and the sock was just too loose.

I finished the first Red Rover sock and left it in NoVA at the DCA's parents' house on Sunday morning before we left to drive down here. I just haven't been able to get into knitting the second one because I want the first one to look at. It's a good thing we're headed back to NoVA tomorrow so I can find my inspiration! (It also doesn't help that every time I walk by my suitcase the Rockin' Sock Club kit screams my name and begs to be started. I'm having a hard time ignoring it.)

I've been trying to devote my time to knitting my mom's Chevron Scarf. It helps with the desire to play with Socks That Rock, and I like to see how much it's growing. I think I'm a little over halfway done at this point, so she should have it in plenty of time for the cooler weather this winter. I wish I could have gotten it done so I could leave it here, but it will have to be shipped back later. She likes the colors she chose now that's she's seen them in person, and she also likes how the scarf is turning out.

I think I may have found some stitch markers for my Hogwarts swap partner, and I also have found my yarn. Now I just need to place orders for them so I can start her socks! Needles are proving a bit more problematic since she likes wooden ones. I don't want to send plain old bamboo, but I don't know much about wooden needles since I prefer aluminum. I have a few good leads though--I'm just looking for some reviews or some blogs to see what people think about a few of the brands that are out there.

The next post will be from the road in NoVA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

boy, you scared me for a minute! i thought you were home! i've made progress, and am 2 1/2 inches into the second sock. yeah, iknow, i've been slow. hopefully, since i've devoted my full time to it, i should be done by the time you get home.

as for wooden needles? by far, i like the brittanys. i've had sox stix which are rosewood, and they work up nicely, but they break easily. however, most makers of wooden needles have a replacement policy. go check out www.limenviolet.com/blog, and look for the post that says "break a needle." i saw that there when i was drooling over shops, and it's got a link to a blog that has posted links/info on needle replacement.

enjoy the rest of your trip!

your sock pal