Sunday, March 18, 2007

Inside Out and Upside Down

After many fits and starts with the Monsoon yarn from the Rockin' Sock Club, I finally have sock #1 knitted up through its heel.

I started the Inside and Out pattern, and I just couldn't get by the shape of the toe. Apparently, I'm not the only one because Stephanie had similar objections. From there, I tried 4 or 5 different patterns starting them multiple times before I finally decided I liked the Inside and Out pattern, but that I would rather work it from the top down. It's my anti-toe-up bias again!

Here's what I've done so far:
  1. I used the crochet cast on for 60 stitches because I wanted a picot lace cuff instead of ribbing at the top. I knit 7 rows, the picot row, and 7 more rows before knitting the stitches from the waste yarn and the stitches from the needle together. I used US size 1 needles for the hem.
  2. I switched to US size 2 needles and worked the pattern rows of the leg for two and a half repeats.
  3. I switched back to US size 1 needles to work the garter stitch short-row heel and 10 rows of the foot.
  4. I switched to US size 0 needles to work the remainder of the foot, and I'm now heading for the toe.
  5. I plan to do the garter stitch short-row toe with the size 0 needles and kitchener stitch the remaining stitches together at the end.

After all the time I have spent on this sock so far, I can't wait to see it all finished up even though I know it's going to take me a few more days.

The DCA found the camera for me the other day, but as I'm sure you've noticed, I haven't picked it up yet. Maybe I should sweet-talk him into being my photographer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't started the pattern yet...the colors aren't exactly me, but maybe they'll look better once knit up...?