Friday, January 06, 2012

Seven Quick Takes Friday – 1

1

I don’t blog very often…or ever. Seriously, check out the last time I posted anything on here. I hope that Quick Takes will inspire me to say a few things a little more often.

2

This used to be my “knitting blog” – thus the title. I’m still knitting – mostly socks, scarves, and shawls of late – but I just don’t care enough to write about it anymore.

3

In an ideal world, this will turn into a blog that lets me reflect on what’s really important to me these days: my faith.

4

I’m a convert to the Catholic Church, and I’m in love, Love, LOVE with everything about my God, my Savior, and my Church. I think I make my family a little bit crazy with all my Catholic-ness.

5

Conversion story in 5 minutes or fewer?

I had to convert because I was looking for spiritual authority.

I was raised Episcopalian, but I had to leave that community in 2001 when they made some rather un-Scriptural decisions. We then started attending what is basically a non-denominational church in CA which gave me wonderful opportunities to study the Bible. When we moved home to VA in 2008, we started attending a Community Church whose worship was similar in style to what we had in CA.

I wanted to be involved with the middle school youth group there because of our daughter who was that age at the time. At some point in some discussion with the other leaders of the group, one of them casually mentioned off-hand that this particular community did not recognize infant baptism – which is how every member of our family was baptized. That sent me into a tailspin, because I have always confessed one baptism. I believed I had no choice but to start looking for a place where all my beliefs from the Nicene Creed – which I had always professed – would be accepted.

I started researching to find who had the authority to determine the validity of someone’s baptism, and in order to do that, I knew I had to find the historic church of Jesus and the apostles. The more I read, the more I knew I had to be in the Catholic Church. I also discovered that ALL my long-held beliefs from the Nicene Creed were already in line with Catholic teaching – makes sense since the Church wrote it!

This all started for me around Easter of 2009, and I was received into the Church at Easter 2010. The children started attending Mass with me in Advent 2009 when their dad had to work weekends and could no longer take them to the other community. They started RCIC in Summer 2010, and received their first Communion in Sept. 2010. Our daughter was confirmed at Easter 2011, and our son will be confirmed with his R.E. class in Spring 2013.

6

I have never been happier, more at peace, or more secure in my faith than now as a Catholic. Without even knowing it, I’ve been searching for the Sacraments all my life.

7

Today is the traditional Feast of the Epiphany - even though the U.S. Church won’t celebrate it until Sunday. Go have some King Cake, and if you have kids, help the Wise Men leave a treat for them! (We got our first King Cake of the season here - our next one will come from here. My mom got hers here.)

------------------

Blessings and Happy Friday Three Kings Day!

Lisa

For more Quick Takes, stop by to visit Conversion Diary!

No comments: